Tuesday, May 17, 2011

project 3: double house + garden



For project 3, the architectural strategy I have taken as inspiration from Villa Muller is that of the narrative in the program as envisioned by Loos, and the spatial qualities of the corresponding rooms in the house.

I have made a preliminary model of rooms of varying dimensions to get a feel for the scale of the spaces I wish to achieve in my design. I have arranged these, as pictured, in one possible configuration thinking about the way in which the houses are to be used. As Loos did with Villa Muller, I want to set out a specific spatial sequence in the houses but also intertwine the landscape with the living spaces. Villa Muller had a strict sense of introverted-ness in terms of blocking out the outside world, including eliminating the relationship to the landscape. I wish to completely remove from this idea in my design and integrate nature with the intended domestic life.

Some preliminary notes I have on my design include:
  • art collector to live with another creative person e.g. an architect
  • establishing separate programs for the 2 houses but have one zone which is a shared space, so that the 2 occupants can come together to enjoy and discuss the art
  • sectional relationship to be quite interactive
Drawings and photo documentation of modelling progress to come!

No comments: